The multi-billion dollar SBIC Program was launched in 1958 to increase access to capital for growth stage businesses. SBICs are privately owned and managed investment funds, licensed and regulated by the U.S. Small Business Administration. SBICs utilize private capital and SBA guaranteed funds to make equity and debt investments in qualifying small businesses in the U.S.
Commerce Street partners with top quartile SBICs funds providing assistance with regulations, governance and fundraising. We have raised over $800 million for 8 SBIC funds after reviewing over 150 potential partners.
Deployed more than $84 billion of Capital
Made more than 174,000 investment in small businesses
$4 Billion authorized per year
$28 Billion of AUM
303 Active SBIC funds
Almost 3 million jobs were created between October 1995 and December 2014 and 9.5 million jobs were sustained during the same period.
On average, small businesses funded by SBIC programs grew by 45.6%.
Benefits to Investors:
- Fund can borrow at rates generally lower than traditional lending sources
- Performance returns coupled with a social return
- The SBA conducts extensive due diligence including FBI background checks on funds and management teams prior to licensing
Additional benefits for Bank Investors:
- Bank eligible investment offering CRA Credit
- C&I opportunities
- Potential for senior loans